Thursday, April 15, 2010

Ticket Schmicket

"Woo hoo!" I yell from the bow of the boat as the wind whips past me and Uncle Hank increases the speed.

We fly around this island and that one. The sun is in mid-sky and we are enjoying the full heat of the day.

There are no other boats around.

"Faster!" I squeal like a child. A moment later we whip around another turn and fly by empty cottages that have yet to be opened for the season. There is nothing better than having the entire lake district to yourself.

"Ha-ANK! Slow down, will ya?" yells Aunt Nancy from the back as she returns to whatever in depth conversation she is having with my parents.

I close my eyes and lean back to feel the warmth of the sun on my face. It's been a while since I've been able to enjoy the heat; I'm feeling connected with the world -- and I don't want to lose this feeling.

I motion to Uncle Hank to slow down so I can crawl back to the cooler and grab another beer. This is a PERFECT day, and I want to soak up as much of it as I can. When I return back to the front of the boat with a cold one, the speed increases and I hoot and holler with every turn.

Wee Ruu Wee Ruu Wee Ruu Wee Ruu

Uh oh.

"Now look what you've gone and done, Hank!" yells Aunt Nancy as I turn around to see the police boat heading straight for us. We slow down and everyone puts on their best smile.

I take another sip of my beer. Ticket schmicket. Who the hell cares?

"Mornin'!" says Uncle Hank as he walks over to the side of the boat to greet the officers. I shimmy on my butt a little closer so I can hear the conversation.

"Ah...we should have known!" says one of the officers with a big smile, who shakes hands with everyone on the boat.

"What are you doin' on this little thing?" he says to Uncle Hank. I guess he's wondering why didn't take out one of the party boats, or yachts -- but you can't explore The Temple of Doom in one of those, now can you?

"Speedin'!" says Uncle Hank with a big smile. He tells them that they were just taking me for a ride, and that since no one is really around -- and the day was so nice, well; it's kinda hard to not speed.

A moment later the officer turns to greet me, and lifts his sunglasses. We make official eye contact.

Well hello...

Aqua-green sparkly eyes smile at me and I raise my beer towards him in return. The men continue to talk as the police boat drifts a little closer to me. When he's almost in front of me, he speaks,

"Hello," he says with a warm smile.

"Hi...," I droll back. This is awkward. My parents are on the other side of the boat and my mother has been on the hunt for some good sperm for a while. Grandchildren are a must.

I can hear the others giggling in the background. Remarkably, neither of us seem to care.

"You just up for a couple of days then?" he says and reaches out to grab the railing on the edge of my boat so his won't drift further away.

I shrug and then smile, before taking another sip of beer. "I'm thinking of staying a while longer," I say.

"Good," he retorts before signaling to his partner to start the engine.

"Good?" I say back. I'm feeling confrontationally-flirtatious.

I love beers on a sunny day.

"Yep." He says, and then laughs as the motor revs and his boat drives away before I have a chance to respond.

"[giggle, chuckle] yer!" says Uncle Hank as he starts our engine and turns the boat around.

"What a nice young man!" my mother says ever-so-loud from the back of the boat, just in case I was oblivious to the hottie that was flirting with me.

As we continue at a slower pace around the bend, I lean back and start to think how fun it would be to have a summer romance. I could stay here, write a little. Enjoy the lakes. Take a break from the hustle and bustle of LA...

I'd just need to let people know where I'd be...

A summer romance. That sounds intriguing.

Maybe I will stay.