Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Message

I walk downstairs. The bottoms of my feet splat against the cedar floors as I make my way through the living room and towards the glass door that leads to the patio.

It's strange that there isn't any music playing...

I look outside. It's slightly overcast and no one is on the top deck, or the middle one, or even down below.

I step outside and adjust my gaze towards the boathouse and shore front to see if they are down there -- but they're not.

Maybe they went for a boat ride?

I look around. It's quiet. No noise is coming from the resort either. And I don't hear any animals.

"Karen?"

I turn around and am met with the torso of a very tall man. I lean my head back and look up. He stands about 9 feet tall.

When we make eye contact, he smiles.

And then, he sits on one of the deck chairs so I am not so overwhelmed by his height.

"We've been trying to talk to you," he says and then gestures for me to take a seat.

"Where is everyone?" I ask as I sit. I'm not...well, I don't know how I feel at this moment to be honest. Confused. I guess I'm confused.

"I don't have much time," he says and then continues "we were able to hold him off -- but we couldn't defeat him."

I have no idea what he's talking about, but I listen because I can hear the gravity in his voice.

"We believe he has taken cover in a body near to here, we want you to be careful. He can lay dormant -- and we believe he will in an effort to hide from us. You must stay here for a few weeks longer. If you return to the world, it will be more difficult to spot him. Do you understand?"

"I think so," I say. I start to feel woozy...

"Good." he says, and then disappears.

I lean back on the deck chair and try to remember what just happened. My heart is pounding. A moment later I hear some music, so I stand to turn -- and it's...

"Charlie!" I say and run over to him and give him a big hug. He laughs and sways his hips left and right on the top deck. The sun comes out. It's very very bright.

He spins me around. I'm in heaven.

I love this song...

"Wakey Wakey!"

I open my eyes and Aunt Nancy is peering over me with a big smile and a cup of coffee in her hand. "Good morning Sunshine. Come on, get up. Hank's got his knickers all in a knot cuz he wants to take us all on a boat ride. He's convinced there was some sort of meteor that dropped last night and that's why every animal north of the 43rd parallel went flying through the property. Come on!" she says and yanks my comforters off of me.

"Ugh.....," I moan. I'm barely awake. I'm actually really exhausted.

"Up! Up! UP!" she says with a big laugh, and then aims the converter towards the wall. A second later the music is blaring and I have no choice but to sit up. I glare at her and then grunt my way towards the bathroom while Aunt Nancy has her own little dance-a-thon in my bedroom.

She's obviously in a very good mood.