Thursday, April 22, 2010

Mr. Green Eyes

Putter. Putter. Putter.

The motor from the police boat softens as it approaches. I save what I'm typing and place my laptop on the table beside me. It's a bright sunny morning, almost warm enough for me to take off my hoody soon.

"Hello!" I say with a big smile as the boat comes closer to the dock.

"Did you think I forgot about you?" Mr. Green Eyes says with an even brighter smile than I remember.

His partner looks bored, but has obviously agreed to bring the boat by Aunt Nancy's for a mid-morning visit.

I waive to him. He grimaces back.

"So, what brings you here?" I say as they kill the motor and he bobs closer to the deck.

"Just was wondering if you're going to be here for the opening?" he says. He's talking about the resort opening up. Apparently it's suppose to be one of the biggest parties of the season.

"Yeah," I reply. I can't stop smiling while I talk. It's mor-ti-fy-ing.

"So...you're here for the whole summer then?" he asks. His partner leans back in his seat, places his cap over his head, and feigns a nap.

"Well, as long as it takes me to finish what I'm working on," I say and point to my laptop.

"That's right!" he says with a laugh. "You're a big time Hollywood type, right?"

"Hardly," I tell him. Now I'm really embarrassed. The whole lake district seems to know what I do thanks to Aunt Nancy.

"Well..." he starts, but then gets caught by something in the distance. "Who's that?" he says suspiciously.

I turn around to see Benny staring at us from the top deck.

He must be looking for Aunt Nancy...

I turn back to Mr. Green Eyes, "Oh, that's just Benny," I tell him. But he continues to look past me and focus straight ahead. I start to get a bit weirded out by this, so I turn around in time to see Benny going back into the house.

"He's not from around here," says my suitor. I really should ask him what his name is, but it is kinda more fun not knowing for the time being.

"Really?" I say a little shocked, "I just figured that everyone who works up here is from around here."

"No..." he says with sexy confidence, "I don't recognize him." But then he changes his manner and returns back to what he was saying earlier,

"Anyways...what I was saying was, is...I don't have to work that night. I was wondering if you wanted someone to go with to the opening,"

I love the way this guy is so 'on the ball' about things. He's just...together. I double check his left hand again for any signs of a ring, before answering "I'd love to."

"Good," he says and nudges his partner to start the boat. A few seconds later they're drifting backwards to turn around in the deeper water.

"Looking forward to it!" he yells, as they swerve the boat around and speed off.

Me too, I think to myself as I grab my laptop and sit back down. I wonder for a second if Benny found Aunt Nancy, but before I get too deeply entrenched in that thought; I'm back to the scene I was creating. The one that's pivotal to the foreshadowing of the obstacles that my character is about to endure.