Monday, April 12, 2010

I have a message for you

"Weeeeeeee!" Consuela squeals as we fly through the clouds above the lake district. I lean my head back and do a somersault in the air before dipping down to glide just above the waters' surface.

"Dis iz so much fun, Mia!" she says to me with a big smile.

In the distance I see a dock in the middle of the water, and so we fly towards it. There is familiar music coming from some sort of radio, and as I approach I recognize --

"Charlie!" I say and land with a thud on the dock. It rocks back and forth for a second from my sloppy landing. Consuela continues to float and soar just below the clouds, all the while screaming Weeeee whenever the urge takes over.

"It's warmer today than it has been," I tell him. He nods. He's being quiet -- which isn't like him.

"Charlie?" I say and look at him a bit concerned. He stands and reaches out his hands to help me stand.

"What's the matter?" I say softly.

He looks at me with his big kind sparkly hazel eyes, and says "I have a message for you."

"OK," I tell him a little confused. We're now on the dance floor in the Sports Bar and my shoes are missing again. The floor is sticky. Charlie begins to dance to a song we both love.

"Where's Deandra?" I ask him and look around. The bartender looks at me with concern, and so I begin to walk towards the washrooms in the back to see if I can find her. The hallway is dark and the floor is really sticky. I can't believe I've forgotten to bring my shoes to this bar, again!

I fumble my way towards the washroom by patting my hands against the wall. It's cold and creepy in this hallway, but a moment later I see a light start to shine from underneath the bathroom door.

"Deandra?" I say. I step a bit closer towards the closed door. I can see glass on the floor and I try to avoid it, but I can't. My feet are bare.

"Deandra!" I yell a little louder.

I look at the door and hear the click of the lock being undone. A second later the handle turns.

I take a step back. I'm starting to feel very scared. There's something behind me. I open my mouth to scream but I can't.

I can't move.

The bathroom door opens, and a beam of light floods into the hallway. My eyes squint from the brightness, but before they can adjust --

Robert is standing in front of me.

"HELP ME!!" he yells, and reaches out to grab me. I close my eyes to brace for whatever is about to happen.

When I open them, the room is silent. It's the early hours of the morning and the sun is still hours from the horizon. I sit up in my bed and try to work out the kink in my neck. I know I must have been having a nightmare. I wait for my eyes to adjust and then look towards the nightstand to see if there is any water left in my glass.

For a second, I think I see someone sitting on my bed -- but then realize it's nothing.

I take a sip of water, readjust; and when my heart stops beating so fast, I eventually fall back asleep.