Monday, April 26, 2010

His ears must be ringing

"Suuuuch a good idea!" I squeal as I lay on the front of the boat while Aunt Nancy hands me some more ice for my drink.

One of the kids from the resort is driving us around.

The sun is out -- and it's hot. I no longer care about when Benny left, and what the hell is going to happen in my movie.

Not now. Now is for suntanning.

And drinking.

"So tell me something," says Aunt Nancy as she splashes more Rum into our glasses. "You're not planning on writing anything else today?" she says.

I nod. I'm waaaay to relaxed to walk back into that stress-ball.

"So," she says and looks over to the middle of the boat where my bag is, "why did you bring your laptop with you?"

It's a fair question. I answer as honestly as I can,

"It mitigates the guilt," I tell her. Somehow, if the laptop is around me, I feel less guilty about the fact that I'm taking a break from writing.

Aunt Nancy nods. I think she gets it.

I let the warmth from the sun's rays seep through the towel I lay on, and into my skin. A slight breeze passes every once in a while to cool us off. I am in heaven.

We lay there, sipping away at our drinks. In a few hours the resort will have it's Grand Opening.

There's nothing like having a lazy day in the sun right before a good party.

"You excited about tonight?" Aunt Nancy asks a few moments later.

I shrug, but then I remember about my date. I start to laugh.

"I almost forgot that I'm going with someone," I tell her. I have no idea if he's planning on meeting me there or not, and sure enough -- just as I start to think about him, I hear another boat's motor in the distance.

"His ears must be ringing," says Aunt Nancy as we sit up and see the Police Boat heading towards us.

"That's so much better than a white horse, hey?" she jokes as she waives to the kid driving our boat to slow down so we can talk to them.

I double-check to make sure I'm not falling out of my bikini before I stand and carefully make my way to the edge of the boat so we can talk better.

He gives me a big smile from behind his dark sunglasses. He is very hot in his uniform.

"Well, hello!" he says. I smile. This is rather convenient.

"We still on for tonight? " he says as he slowly passes by. I realize he's just teasing with me and has no plans to stop the boat. Since I have no idea what exactly will happen tonight, I just raise my glass to him and say "see you there."

I think he likes that I'm impervious to his different degrees of attention.

"Definitely," he yells back as he increases the power of his motor and takes off.

"They don't come much sexier than that, do they?" says Aunt Nancy as we both dreamily watch his boat turn the corner.

"They really don't," I tell her as I reach into the cooler for some more ice for my drink. "I couldn't have written him any better if I wanted to," I say as Aunt Nancy splashes some more juice into both our glasses.

"Don't tell your Uncle Hank I said that!" she says and laughs to herself at the thought of being with...

I really should get his name from him tonight.

Aunt Nancy signals to the kid that we're ready to continue, and so -- once we pass the wakes from the police boat, we pick up speed and continue enjoying the quiet, empty lake one last time before the season starts and all the people begin to spill into it.