Thursday, April 29, 2010

Life. Is. Good.

"My ring!" I hear someone behind me say as I walk through the main foyer of the resort.

I turn around to see a slim, well dressed, native woman walking towards me. Her hair cascades around her shoulders. She smiles.

She is gorgeous.

Figures.

I slip the ring off of the middle finger of my left hand, and hand it over to her as she approaches.

"I'm Linda!" she says with a big smile, and then reaches in to give me a genuine hug.

"I was only wearing it so I wouldn't forget to bring it over," I tell her and then introduce myself.

"Oh, I know who you are. Benny has told me soooo much about you. I can't believe you actually found it!" she half squeals as she places it on the index finger of her right hand and links arms with me.

We walk into the dining room. Happy couples sit at white linen table cloths, adorned with floating candles as centre pieces. The atmosphere is enchanting.

"It was in one of the upstairs bathrooms," I tell her. She nods, and then points towards the outdoor gardens.

"There's fantastic buffets. If you haven't eaten, we can sit and chat. I'm on my own tonight," she tells me as we walk towards the gardens.

The outside is louder, and filled with more people. Waiters walk around with champagne and wine, and so we each grab a glass of champagne as we head to a table.

"So, you don't work here?" I ask her. She shakes her head no as she sips from her flute, and tells me that she's working on her PhD in Mysticism; and writing an ethnography on some of the native tribes from this area.

"Fascinating," I tell her with all sincerity. I don't know much about mysticism other than it is the belief that God or the Gods are in everything that has to do with nature, and so nature is highly respected.

"At least, I think that's what it is," I say as we grab two more glasses of champagne.

"Your thinking of animism," she smiles encouragingly.

"So what's mysticism?" I ask

"Ah..," she laughs and tries very hard to summarize what it is, "Mysticism is the process of becoming one with God, through enlightenment."

"That's very deep," I tell her.

"Indeed," she says jokingly.

I like Linda. There is a cool vibe about her, and she is definitely capable of carrying a great conversation -- which the writer in me can appreciate.

"Are you planning on staying here all summer?" she asks as we both pick from a tray of what looks like crab stuffed into some sort of phyllo.

"Only until I finish what I'm working on," I tell her. "I'm writing a movie."

We talk about me for a bit, until Aunt Nancy slides into a chair across from me.

"You guys having a good time?" she says with a big smile.

How could we not?

"Absolutely," I tell her.

"Well," she starts and looks at both of us, "I have some bad news."

Silence.

My heart drops at the way she delivers it.

"What?!?!" I finally snap 10 seconds later when she's let it hang in the air long enough.

"Now, I know that I said I would stay up here with you...but it turns out that Hanky Poo Poo and I need to go out East for a bit. There's been some issues..."

I sigh with relief. I thought she was going to tell me something much worse than she has to leave me on my own for a while.

"Oh please," I tell her, "Just go! I don't mind, honest. Linda's up here, so we can keep each other company." I say with a smile. To be honest, with Aunt Nancy gone, I'll probably get a lot more work done.

"You sure, cuz you're more than welcome to come with if you want," she tells me and plops a baby shrimp into her mouth from a passing tray.

"I'm positive. Don't even worry about me, I'll be fine." I tell her. The buzz from the champagne is starting to kick in. Linda grabs three more glasses as another tray passes by, and I start to sip this glass a little faster than the other two. There is nothing better than a warm night mixed with the good buzz from champagne.

"I don't like the idea of you up here all by yourself," says Aunt Nancy. There is guilt in her eyes.

"I'll take good care of her," I hear a silky voice say from behind me.

A moment later a hand is on my right shoulder.

Heaven...

I look up to see Mr. Green Eyes standing there, smiling. He reaches out his hand and introduces himself to Linda.

Ralph. Ick.

I'm not crazy about the name, but he's cute enough that I can live with it for the time being. I tell Aunt Nancy one more time to go with my blessing, and then, I make my way towards the dance floor to see if he'll follow. Which he does.

I wrap my arms around his neck for balance, and sway back and forth to a song that I love. I start to think about how awesome the next few weeks will be; great and meaningful talks with the uber intelligent Linda-my-new-best-friend, being serenaded by one of the most handsome suitors I've ever had, and feeling content for the first time in a while.

I smile to myself.

Life. Is. Good.