Friday, March 26, 2010

Sleep Awaits

I can barely keep my eyes open. The hum of the plane's engines is lulling me to sleep. That and the lighting. They've dimmed the lights so I can get some rest. Aunt Nancy and my mom are talking near the front of the plane. I'm resting on one of the leather couches, with a blanket wrapped around me for comfort.

Uncle Hank is up front with the pilot. Apparently he really likes riding in the cockpits.

I can't quite make out what Aunt Nancy and my mom are saying, but they giggle every once in a while. I like that they are able to not let what I've been through take away their natural joy. I think any concern that they would have, has now been alleviated. I'm here, in their presence. Nothing can really harm me now.

I roll over and try to get a bit more comfortable. This won't be a very long plane ride. I wonder if maybe I should try and hold off sleep until we get there -- but then my eyelids get heavy again and fatigue sets in even stronger.

I realize that I haven't really been sleeping these last few days; so maybe what I need is just a good long sleep. A real sleep. The kind that has you waking up feeling like a new person.

I look around the plane. It's very Miami Vice in decor. Beige leather couches, mahogany table tops and fixtures...

Yawn.

I'm at that point where despite the fact that your eyes keep going into lock down, I'm so over-exhausted that my heart keeps over pumping -- which jolts me awake. I take a slow deep breath through my nostrils.

In.....

Out....

Maybe the slow breathing will help me pass out.

I could really use a good sleep. It's been a while.