Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Charlie likes Neil

"Charlie, I didn't know you liked Neil Diamond!" I squeal as I watch him dancing in the field.

The sun is high above us, and it warms my bare arms as I sit and watch him awkwardly rotate his middle to the beat. His Harley Davidson belt buckle swings left and right as he jives to the music.

"I dooooo, darlin'. I dooooo." he coos as he continues to dance. He makes sure to give me a big smile, and I happily smile back. I love Charlie.

A moment later a bluebird flies past us. I lean back on my elbows and squint towards the sky. It's purple in colour; with pink clouds. I don't remember seeing a purple sky before -- but I like it all the same. I stretch out my legs and cross one over the other. I notice my toes. They're cute. I'm wearing something I haven't really seen before -- a sundress which falls just below my knees. My flip flops are off to the left of me.

I stand and walk over towards Charlie. We're now in the sports bar and I'm barefoot on the sticky dance floor. The bartender smiles at me as I look around for my flip flops, but can't seem to find them. I start to get anxious about being barefoot in a bar, but Charlie laughs and makes me dance with him on the dance floor.

I look around for Deandra...but she's not there.

"Where's Deandra?" I ask him. I've forgotten about my bare feet for the moment.

Charlie ignores me. He stops smiling, but continues to dance to Neil Diamond. I walk away from Charlie to go towards the bathroom and see if Deandra is there. I walk down the long dark hall behind the bar towards the restrooms. There's no light in the hallway, so I follow the wall with my hands and try not to stumble.

I really wish I had my flip flops.

My feet start to walk through something sticky in the dark long hallway.

I can't see anything.

"Deandra?" I say. I take another step forward. It's impossible to see. My heart is racing. I think about going back but I want to see if Deandra is ok. I continue to fumble my way in the darkness by following the wall with my hands.

I'm scared.

"Deandra?" I call out a little louder. My feet are now completely stuck in something sticky.

I can't move.

"Deandra?" I say one more time.

I feel something walking towards me in the dark. I try really really hard to see what it is, but I can't...it's too black.

A moment later, the bathroom door opens and Robert walks out. The light from the bathroom allows me to see him as he steps into the shadows.

"Help me!" he says, and stands right in front of me.

"Huh?" I say. My feet are still stuck, and I can't turn around and run. My heart is beating faster.

Robert grabs me by the shoulders and says even louder, "Help me!"

I open my mouth to scream but nothing comes out.

So I try harder and harder --


I'm only slightly murmuring something as I open my eyes. My heart is racing. I must have had a nightmare; but I can barely remember what it was about. Daylight pours through the windows into the bedroom that I've been assigned. I'm still wearing my clothes from yesterday.

I must have passed out.

Someone probably brought me up here. Or did I come up here myself? I'm too groggy to remember.

My teeth have a nasty film all over them. I look around the room and can't see my bags.

They must be in the closet.

I take a moment to allow my muscles to wake before placing one foot slowly on the floor -- then the other. A moment later I'm walking towards the closet to dig for my toothbrush.

As I do so, I can hear Neil Diamond singing from the floor below -- announcing to all within earshot that mid morning has arrived.