Sunday, March 14, 2010

I don't have a boyfriend

"I'm really excited about this project," says Garry Marshall with a big smile as he stuffs his napkin into the collar of his t-shirt.

I love when people do that. So old-school.

"Me too!" I squeal. It's a beautiful sunny day. The patio isn't too packed, so we don't have to yell over the hum of people chatting. The waiter comes over to us and refills our water glasses, before putting the Perrier back into the ice bucket beside our table.

"You were the only one I ever wanted to direct it, and I'm so excited that this worked out." I say between mouthfuls of lasagna. Garry Marshall was right, the food here is fantastic.

"I've been a fan of yours for a while," he says and uses the bottom of his napkin bib to wipe some sauce that trickles down the left side of his mouth. He's such a cool guy. Laid back, wearing a baseball cap and generic tee. It's taking everything in me not to reach across the table and give him a big hug.

"Karen?"

I open my eyes to see a shadowy figure leering over me. Rays from the sun pour around his head like a halo.

I sit up and readjust myself on the patio lounge so I can see who this is more clearly.

"Did I wake you?" he says. He's wearing a nice-ish suit.

"No, it's fine." I tell him just as Dina-Pina pipes in, "Karen, this is Det. Stevens, you know -- the one I was telling you about."

"Of course," I say. I apologize for not calling him back. He shakes it off with a smile. A nice smile...

He turns to grab another patio chair to bring closer to me so we can have a conversation. I turn to Dina-Pina who quickly mouths 'cute' with a big smile before settling back into her full-on suntan mode.

"So," he starts.

He really is cute. He smells cute.

"I just have a couple of questions about what happened with you and Deandra the other night..."

Deandra! Finally!

He explains to us that Robert was in violation of his restraining order, and as soon as they find him he will be taken into custody. He tells us that Robert's obsession with Deandra is very serious, and asks us not to walk alone at night. He tells us that Robert is not at his apartment, his family hasn't heard from him -- and that there were some disturbing things found in his apartment that make them believe he suffers from mental health issues.

"I could've told you that," says Dina-Pina with a dry tone. She clears her throat.

I tell cute Det. Stevens my version of the events, and am really honest about the fact that I was very drunk at the time -- he laughs.

"That was smart of you to yell out for your boyfriend," he says while jotting down notes.

Ah -- the prod.

"I don't have a boyfriend," I say matter-of-fact. He looks up, and smiles before putting the patio chair back to it's original place. He walks away saying he'll be in touch.

I can still smell him for a few moments after he's left.

"I need to cool off," I say to Dina-Pina who laughs as I dive into the pool. I bob under the water watching the sun dance off the ripples above me. In a moment I'll return to Garry Marshall, but for now I want to encapsulate everything that just happened in case it becomes significant.