Friday, March 5, 2010

I definitely drank too much

Click.

ZCHroooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

The hum from sensor light is deafening as we stumble through the rod iron gate into the courtyard. Everything is making me nautious - the sticky night heat, the reflection of the moon on the pool, the sound of Dina-Pina's kitten heels half-dragging as we cross the cement deck.

Why is that light so damn bright?

I squint and hold back some of the vomit that rises in my throat. Definitely drank too much.

NEED WATER.

We cross the shallow side of the pool and walk towards Dina-Pina's patio set. I need to sit down for a moment. I think I might throw up.

"Why aren't you answering my calls?" says a deep angry voice from within the shadows. It instantly startles me and makes me forget about my nausea. I don't like this voice. It has a sub frequency of control that makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

He rises from one of the patio seats that is hidden in the shadows; and Dina-Pina instantly pulls in a little closer to me. She's scared.

"What are you doing here, Robert?" she says as sternly as she can. I'm silent for a moment. I don't know who this person is -- but I know it's bad news.

"You're not suppose to be here," she says. She sounds stern, but from where I'm standing I can see one of her eye muscles twitch. I know that she is under a lot of stress.

"You need to go." I say as soberly as I can. I have no idea who this guy is or what he wants, but if he doesn't leave soon -- I might just have to hurl on his shoes.

"MEEEEE-YAAAAA!" Consuela screeches from the top of the stairs in front of my apartment door. I ignore her.

"Where have you been?" he fumes and takes another step into the light. He's nice looking, but the anger bleeds out of his eyes; and I realize as I become a little more faint - that I'm having trouble breathing.

He continues to yell at Dina-Pina; and while the whirlwind of chaos ensues, I notice a green outline that hovers just above the bridge of his nose. When he turns his head, the outline stays put, and I notice the mist-like formation of a face that isn't his.

There's something living in Robert. Something I've never seen before.

I hear the frantic slapping of Consuela's dollar-store slippers hitting the cement steps as she races down the three flights of stairs from my apartment to where we are standing.

"MeeeeeeeeeeeeeYaaaaaaaaaa - don't yer go near him! Don't yer go near him!" she screams, and hustles her way towards the both of us; swiffer in hand.

I extend my left arm out and yell at her, "Stop!"

"What?" says Robert and turns his attention at me. A moment later the misty green face resumes its position inside his skull.

I think this is what we call the point of no return, so I go with it.

"Uh, you heard me asshole" I say.

He takes a step towards me. I see a misty-green muscular leg with a hoof step towards me a fraction of a second later, and resume it's position within his body.

Dina-Pina is trembling.

He's close enough that I can smell him now. I look deep within his eyes, and behind the blue colour that he's been given in the natural world, lay a very cold set of black eyes. I don't know what this enemy is.

"Robert! Please! Just go!" she pleads. Her lips are trembling now.

I take a short breath to help with the dizziness of the spins that have inconveniently decided to kick in, and say:

"In about two seconds Robert that door over there is going to open, and my sleep deprived trigger happy cop of a boyfriend is going to take about three seconds to assess this situation, and blow your fucking brains out. So - if I were you, I would GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE RIGHT NOW!"

Robert stands there for a second. And, since I have nothing to lose I yell for Brad.

"Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad! Heelllllllllllllp!" I scream and it echoes off of the walls in the building. Some lights begin to turn on, and a second later Robert begrudgingly retreats. I see a green tail swaying behind him as he hustles through the rod iron gate and exits the courtyard.

"I'm calling the cops!" Dina-Pina screams after him.

And while she dials the police, I crawl over to the bushes and throw up. When I'm done, I roll over and try to allow the coolness of the pavement to offer me some comfort. And in a weird way, it sort of does.