Saturday, March 6, 2010

Not in the mood

I haven't left my apartment today. After sleeping most of the day away, I've forced myself to get out of bed, and head to my laptop. Despite the fact that I have the world's biggest hangover, I sit here; staring at my computer screen.

I can't stop thinking about Robert, and the green apparition that I saw.

Consuela enters carrying a cup of tea.

"Der is no peppermint, only da chamameel" she says and plunks it down beside me. She sits on a trunk to the right of me and wipes away the sweat from her brow.

"Thanks," I whisper.

Consuela is silent. She lets me stare out the window.

Nothing.

Sigh.

"Yer iz want me to rub da shoulders?" Consuela asks. I nod, and a moment later her chubby little fingers are trying their best to massage the tensest part between the tops of my shoulders and the bottom of my neck.

"Consuela," I say while she continues to knead, "did you see the green demon inside of that man?"

"Mia," she says in a tone I haven't hear before, "dat iz not no demon."

I let her rub my shoulders a bit more, thank her, and take a sip of the tea. My stomach is hollow and raw from all the vomiting, but the tea does seem to soothe it.

Consuela turns to exit, and I let her leave. I'm too hungover to talk about Robert and the events of last night. I have a meeting with my agent tomorrow and I need to have the opening of this movie figured out -- at the very least, I need the first 10 pages to be solid.

I stare out the window. It's night now. The crickets are chirping.

I don't allow myself to think about Dina-Pina and if she's ok. I can't afford to go down that train of thought. I take another sip of tea.

My guilt about not checking on her starts to seep in.

I decide to call her in a little bit; after I've written some pages.

Having somewhat soothed the guilt I am feeling about the whole situation, I try to use the few brain cells that I have left to write the opening.