Thursday, May 13, 2010

overtaken by fear

My knees shake uncontrollably as I stand in front of the slightly ajar bathroom door.

The air around me turns to ice.

A thick stream of blood puddles underneath me, and I fear that the person on the other side is no longer with us.

I remember the amulet the Linda gave me, and clasp it with my free hand. I try to calm my breath as I slowly push open the door.

It's pitch black inside the bathroom. The storm still blocks the moonlight from coming through the skylights. It takes a few seconds for my eyes to adjust, but I can eventually see the outline of a body on the other side of the room.

There is no breathing.

I take another step forward and try not to slip in the blood.

"Sir?" I say quietly as I stand there hoping to hear some sort of response; which I don't.

The air becomes colder.

I take another step closer, and another. And then I hear it --

Hooves.

The floorboards in the hall creek one by one, as the beast approaches.

My heart stops.

Knowing I only have a few seconds until contact, I stand as still as I can and close my eyes; trying to remember everything that Linda has told me.

You will have one chance to escape...

I know the beast prays on emptiness and so I begin to focus all my concentration on everything that matters most to me; sunshine... stars at night, love... fairy tales, ice cream, music...

I frantically try to fill myself with all the things the exemplify my existence; sunsets, oceans, clouds, nature, warm sand on a beach, the smell of sunscreen...

Do not be afraid...

The ice cold air is replaced by a rancid warmth.

The beast is now behind me.

I keep my eyes closed and try my best to connect with the truth of who I think I am, I dive deeper -- underneath all the layers and neurosis that life creates; and search desperately for the lifesource that is me.

But I'm afraid.

And, as my heart beats out of control and my valves begin to flutter; I lose my focus.

I grasp my protection amulet even tighter. The twine begins to dig into the back of my neck.

I hear the floorboard creek behind me as the beast steps towards me.

All I know how to do is close my eyes as tight as I can, and brace for impact.