Friday, May 21, 2010

The End

"We're good!" Eli says to me as I fidget in my chair waiting for him to flip through the last few pages of the script.

"It's not too out there?" I say with a dash of self-doubt that every creative person has.

"No," he says and shakes his head. "I like how you turned the story inside out and made it so much more than I ever thought it could be."

I smile.

There's nothing weird about being back on the lot and sitting in Eli's office. It's as if I never left. It's as if everything that happened these last few months evaporated ~ like a hazy dream that you can't quite remember.

"So....I guess that's it then, right?" I say and start to stand. If Eli's happy with the script, they can start attaching a Director and casting. I don't really need to do anything else at this point.

"I feel like we should celebrate," he says.

It's true. There is something very anticlimactic about the atmosphere. I've just written something that's ready to start going into pre-production, and a simple see ya later, doesn't really seem to suffice.

Eli walks over to his cabinet and pulls out a bottle of champagne.

"Shall we?" he says.

I tell him that I have to drive and the last thing I want is to end up sharing a cell with Lindsay Lohan today.

We laugh.

I start to walk away when Eli stops me.

"Oh! Wait! I almost forgot."

I turn around to see Eli scurrying over to his desk and pulling out a bag. He walks it over to me, and I look inside to see --

my shoes.

I laugh.

I thank him and we hug, and a moment later I'm walking down the hall.

There's no musical score. No poignant final encounter with someone important that makes this moment special.

Just me. Walking.

It's funny how mundane real life can actually be.

I get outside and walk towards my car. Consuela sits in the passenger seat.

"Where to?" she says to me as I slip into the driver's seat and start the car.

"There's somewhere we need to go," I tell her.

As we drive along, I take in the scenery. Billboards for movies that are coming out and shows that are currently starting a new season infiltrate the sky above the buildings.

I wonder how many months away we are from seeing the posters for this movie line the roads?

Is it an Oscar contender? How fantastic would that be...

A few minutes later we pull up in front of the Sports Bar where Deandra used to work. I did some research and found out that the owner has built a memorial for them beside the DJ booth, near the dance floor.

I need to pay my respects.

I walk inside, and Consuela shuffles behind me. Her Dollar Store slippers clack along the tile floors as I approach the dance floor.

I stand there for a moment, and take in a deep breath. I look down at my feet and stare at my toes. And for some reason, unbeknownst to me, I take off my flip flops and begin to dance on the dance floor. The owner smiles at me from behind the bar. He's obviously just had the floors mopped because my feet tingle from the cleaner that is still drying on the floor.

I take a deep breath, and walk over to the memorial. Cards and flowers adorn it. Some of the notes are from customers. Others are from friends and family. There's a sign with donor information for a charity that you can donate to on their behalf.

I stand here for a moment and bask in the love that people had for them. Then I look at a picture of Deandra and tell her that I finished writing my movie. It's something she really wanted for me, and it seems right to let her know that it's now done. I place the shoes that Eli returned to me in front of the memorial. Somehow it makes sense to leave them with Deandra and Charlie, here on the dance floor. Where we can always party together.

I take a step back, blow them a kiss, and return back to the dance floor to collect Consuela. But, just for fun -- the bartender plays a favourite song of ours; and so, one last time I give it my all -- barefoot, and in honour of my friends who are with me in spirit, although they can't be here in person.

I dance my heart out to the music, and try my best to feel their presence between the beats. And, when the song is over, I catch my breath; link arms with Consuela and head back towards the front door.

When I leave the dance floor, I put my flip flops back on my feet -- and brace for whatever the rest of the day will bring me.

And I don't look back.

Because neither of them would've wanted me to.

I honour them by taking healthy steps forward, and always keeping them in a very safe place in my heart. That's what they would've wanted. For me to be free and alive. Honouring them with a vibrant life. And not ever again succumbing to the pain from the evil that once crossed our path.

And somehow, as I walk back towards the car, I can feel them smiling down on me. The stars begin to twinkle in the dusk. And I know for now, that everything is going to be just fine.

























"Mia," Consuela yawns as we drive back to our hotel to call it a night. It's been a long day, and right about now I could really use some sleep.

There will be plenty of meetings in the next week or so to line up new projects.

"Yes," I say to her as we detour through Bel Air and I imagine one day calling this area home.

"Yer iz gonna helps me wis da Taco Stand, no?" she says as she yawns and leans back in her seat. I like how Consuela never lets go of her dream. It's impressive.

"Absolutely." I tell her without hesitation.

"Promise?" she says to me in a child-like voice as her lids become heavy and she starts to close her eyes.

"I promise," I tell her. Even though I don't ever recall Consuela cooking for me, I think she would manage a great Taco Stand. Partly because she is so passionate about it, but mostly because I can really see it happening for her.

And I think that's half the battle. The mind over the matter, that is. Believing in yourself when the odds are against you. And never letting anything bring you down.